Gatto Posting due on March 11

Home Forums Homework Postings for Class Readings Gatto Posting due on March 11

This topic contains 36 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  KeithNox 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author

R. Bryan

Gatto differentiate between school and education, by listing famous Presidents and inventor. That was not apart of,public schooling. It is clear to me, that even though we go through the schooling systems. We can make a difference by, breaking away from the; traditional goals associated with schooling. I do understand that even-though someone is schooled, they may not be educated. Being educated is not falling into the servant class, contributing to the rewards of the industrial titans; whom cultivates from the class of public schools dumb peoples.

#1464 Reply

Fidel Herrera

Gatto would differentiate school from education by explaining how school is the methodology used in today’s society to obtain an education. He would also explain how one does not need schooling in order to receive an education. As a student I have had many teachers who seemed bored with the subject they taught. This made it harder to learn and understand certain subjects. Looking back now, I realize that I learned better with teachers who seemed to enjoy what they were teaching.

#1466 Reply

Elena Andreeva

My response to this question is really close to my post on Jean Anyon’s article. I found in Gatto’s article my thought reflected on paper. I will repeat myself, schooling, education and success are three different things. I don’t think home schooling is perfect way to educate children and I will explain myself. School plays not only academic education role but social as well. Human is bio-social creature. In a complex process of social interaction child can grow, get stronger and learn basics of adaptation. But! Social influence can be positive as well as negative. That is why parents are the most important elements in each child’s growing, education, future. Gatto in his article points on this aspect and calls parents to “…teach kids to be leaders… to think critically and independently… to help them develop inner life…” Gatto differentiate schooling and education by bringing in examples of famous people who never went through school but who were highly educated people. I also had such example in my post on Jean Anyon’s article.

Political order directly influences school systems in every country. I came from former Soviet Union. I was able to see clearly how school system was changing (to be more precise—worsening) with political changes. In USSR schools were great! Of course, there were some rich people and schools for them were different from schools for the rest. To be honest, level of education was really high. No drugs, no prostitution in middle school, no shooting at schools… Safe place to send your child. In my opinion, some feasible restrictions on people’s freedom need to be set. After collapse of USSR quality of schools and system by itself were rapidly declining. And now more parents have to be even more aggressive in fight for their kids.

#1467 Reply

Yara Rodriguez

I think this was a great article because Gatto explained that there is a big difference between school and education. School is a building where you go to learn skills for your future life during for 12 years that you do schooling. Teacher at school teach what’s right and wrong, but at the end of the day it’s up to the students to follow this rules that the school enforced them. Education is knowledge that you get through the years of your experience life. It doesn’t matter how much time you went to school , you will be a successful person if you trusted yourself in whatever you do is going to turn right.

#1469 Reply

Brett Emch

As Gatto illustrates in this article our modern day school system was indeed born out of the Industrial Revolution when we began treating our children as products, determined to create identical replicas for a specific purpose. Education, true education, involves latching onto the innate talents that lie within an individual and guiding them on the path of self discovery.

The aspect I found particularly intriguing in this article was the view on the class/social warfare that we willing support within the American school system. Children in essence are breed to be a self regulating force, intent on keeping the “riff raff” in their place. The idea of the have and the haves not is one we encourage almost from the start.

#1470 Reply

Siena Tinoco

According to Gatto, education is the action of giving knowledge while also nurturing creativity and imagination. Gatto considers modern schooling to be full of ‘tricks and traps’ to control the masses and teach children to be consumers. Gatto gives proof within the article of how schools teach students to obey commands reflexively and shapes them into uniform citizens. Gatto even asks if the whole idea of mandated 12 year schooling is even necessary or beneficial (giving the example of homeschooling as an argument). While reading the six basic functions taught in public schools, I have seen many of these functions put to work on a daily basis. Most commonly in public high school I have noticed the ‘Diagnostic and Directive Function’ in which the school administrators give countless placement exams and assessments monthly to see where you fit in your school. I commonly see the ‘Selective Function’ as well; after a kid is deemed a ‘bad student’ most teachers never seem to include them in class discussions and are often pushed aside.

#1471 Reply

Arnold corvera

Gatto made school and education sound as he was speaking about two completely different topics. He somewhat schooled us on what really happens to children when they are being oppressed to learn and study the same thing for long periods of there time as they proceed from grade to grade. He explained that they are being taught to stay at a safe level and that they were products not students. They are trained to be consumers and employees not critical thinkiners. He showed us that education is acquired and learned on the way through creative curriculums that allow students to express, challenge, and understand what they are learning. Education isn’t boring, repetition is boring.

#1473 Reply

Ray Leonard

We need to send our kids to school because we don’t live in the 18th century anymore when the population was comprised of many small villages where they would have never come into contact only in times of war. Today the operation system of the world requires a much more complex system. The mental and physical state of our bodies are also significantly changed. How would you learn to foster a growth mind-set if you are not exposed to different ideas and views? Yes, Thomas Jefferson never went to school but somebody thought him what he needed to know to become who he was. We also learn social skills and how to manage different situations with different group of people. Let’s for example take the effects of competing in sport in public schools. As hormones shift teens’ moods and thoughts, competition fosters an opportunity for teens to interact with fellow peers, coaches, and mentors, while helping them understand their own abilities and talents. As students compete with fellow peers and competitors, teens are engaging in physical and mental activities that can guide teens to learn more about solid work-ethic, the importance of practice, and the imperativeness of determination.

#1477 Reply

Carlos Tapia

I have to agree with Gatto’s article. He explains that those who never went through the twelve-year school and were homeschooled instead, came out better than those enrolled in the schools. He uses examples like George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, and Abraham Lincoln. They turned out alright because they were not the products of a school system and were taught by someone else.
    During my twelve-year school experience, there were rarely any classes that I found boring because the instructors that I had actually did what they are suppose to do: teach. The schools that I went to had a large number of students that were rarely bored of anything. They had teachers who cared about education.
    School is an institution where training is imparted to the children, and the students in various branches of learning. Education, on the other hand, is imparted in the schools. A person who educates the students in a school or in a college is called as an educator.

#1479 Reply

Lala Egoyan

Gatto provides a clear distinction between schooling and education. In modern life the meanings of education and school connected; without school we can’t get an education. For example doctor cannot become a doctor. I disagree about the statement that “boredom is common condition”. From my own experience I would say that school plays an interesting and very important role in our life. In the school we receive an experience that we cannot get nowhere else. School prepares children for a life. Children learn communication skills. Just ask yourself a question: what if a child gets an education for (let say ) 5 years; what would he do the other time? At the age of 14 or 15 a teenager is still a child, and he still needs education, and school really helps to adapt to a life.
    While I was writing, I questioned my brother about this article. He is in middle school and he said he can’t imagine his life without school, school is not boring and he wants to attend school.

#1480 Reply

Jessica Amaya

Gatto compares “school” to prison. He believes that schools are a routine of the same thing: six classes a day, five days a week, nine months a year, for twelve years. He associates school with boredom. On the other hand, education is creative and critically learned knowledge. He mentions many well known Americans that never went through “school”. In fact, they never graduated but became very important people in American history.
    I experienced “school”up until college. In college I am more analytic, open minded and creative about how I take in the information I am given.

#1485 Reply

Eduardo Reyes

Gatto’s differentiation about school and education is that for school it takes 12 years to complete while education can be gained anywhere and anytime. Really why do we need to be in school for twelve years and just learning repetitive information when students can be using that extra time to be learning something else. For education, knowledge can be absorbed and learned anywhere the only problem is that no diploma that can prove your intelligence. It amazing that none of founding fathers graduated from a secondary school and still manage to built this country with no background of schooling. Not just them but other people like Edison didn’t go to school and manage to bring electricity to the entire world. This just proves that knowledge has to be learned outside of school and maybe even out of the country to bring back the remarkable minds that brought new invention and ideas to the world.

#1487 Reply

Lupe Galindo

Gatto started off by giving out some information on the United States history of schooling. How it all got started and by who and later moved to explaining modern day schooling. He broke down schooling into six functions. Those functions basically were explaining that schools stick to conforming students and not letting them express or think liberally. The sixth function however caught my attention, because it explained generations to come were learning to continue the same tactics of each function.
    Gatto differentiated school from education by again digging historic people and using their type of education as examples. He explained that they were independent and were able to think critically effectively. Gatto also emphasized that children today should be able to know how to manage themselves.
    In my own experience I remember my fifth grade and ninth grade English teachers trying to conform each and every one of their students into thinking the same. That example falls into the second function of Gatto; which is “integrating function”.

#1491 Reply

Ksenia Kasyan

A school for Gatto is a place where children are trained to be employees and to obey reflexively. If you want your children to grow up and become leaders and adventurers, you need to educate your children. That is the main difference. Personally, I think, this is a little harsh. Of course, some teaching methods generate in children fixed minds, but we also have a lot of great schools which prepare children for future, giving them problem solving and decision – making skills. So, I don’t like his generalization. About my personal experience, of course, I had some teachers who fall under the description Gatto provided. As a consequences, I had to use help of tutors, if I needed a subject. So, I do not think that the problem in schools, I think the problem in teachers who chooses wrong teaching methods.

#1493 Reply

Martin Valenzuela

Gatto would differentiate school from education by the function of school and how it fails to accomplish its goal. School, in Gatto’s view, aims to create good people, citizens, and transform each person into their personal best. He thus states the school system fails to achieve this because it does not encourage students to think and instead reduces many to the same safe, manageable level. Thus in doing so it “puts down dissent and originality.” Much of this article resonated with me and my experience with schooling. When put into this perspective much of my life has been to become manageable to society. Although there are some exceptions from some teachers who put forth my originality and authenticity, the majority of it was to make me conform just like everyone else. Also, I do agree with school being boring because of it. I know at least from my experience school was boring a lot of the time.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
Reply To: Gatto Posting due on March 11
Your information: